Dojo Kun – Shorin Ryu
The ethos of Karate is the development of the character through the development of the body and the instructor has a great responsibility to uphold this tradition. The instructor must ensure that all students in their charge adhere to the code of conduct below.
- All instructors are to be addressed as “Sensei” (Teacher).
- All assistant instructors are to be addressed as “Senpai”
- Don’t be late for class.
- Always ensure that shoes have been removed before entering the Dojo area.
- Upon entering the Dojo, a short bow should be executed and this should be repeated upon leaving the Dojo.
- Bow and greet the Senior Instructors and karateka personally on your arrival. When sitting, either kneel or cross your legs. Do not sit with legs extended straight out.
- Students must be punctual for class and wait for the start by selecting and reading a book.
- Clean hands and feet with short finger and toenails
- No eating or chewing gum – No food or drink may be consumed within the dojo /training area.
- Clean karate gi – don’t roll up cuffs of gi (Karate uniform)
- Long hair to be tied up
- All jewellery, watches and sharp objects must be removed before entering the Dojo.
- Give respect to all karate participants, whatever their grade or age.
- Never stand with your hands on your hips or lean against the wall.
- Acknowledge the Sensei’s instructions with “hai”.
- There should be no idle talking during class. It is disrespectful and distracting to the Sensei and other participants.
- When the Sensei is giving an explanation during training, stand quietly and attentively and keep our hands at your side or behind you.
- When changing partners for an exercise, bow to the previous partner before moving on to the next, and then bow to the new partner.
- Senior belts must lead by example to junior belt.
- When adjusting your gi or belt, turn away from other people and the front of the dojo.
- Once a lesson has commenced the mind and body must be co-ordinated and be ready to react to whatever is taught. All movements must be executed with spirit and skill.
- Students must inform the school if they are not able to attend a class.
- Students must walk around the edge of the dojo.
- No smoking is allowed in the dojo.
- The use of bad language or inappropriate behaviour will lead to expulsion from the dojo / classes.
- Students must ensure that they have an up to date Affiliation Book.
- Keep adding to the spirit of karate by co-ordinating with fellow students at all times.
- Treat your dojo with respect, it is your sanctuary.
- Enjoy mastering your art in Shorin-Ryu Shorinkan Karate.
The above rules also apply to competitions.